I started receiving prompts from your tool to provide my license (which still has 3 months left) - after inserting the current license into the box, I got a prompt that it's been used too many times, and cannot be used any more, and that my debugger is disabled. I am the only user of this license. I got a new workstation within the last 6 months, so I needed to use the license at that point. One other thing that could be impacting this is that some of our internal network organization was changed 3 months ago - domains were switched. All our AD usernames changed from from the first character of your firstname followed by your lastName@domain, to firstName.lastName@domain. I have been getting the license prompt intermittently since then.
I am going to start a trial while I am waiting for this to be resolved, so that I not blocked from being able to work. Let me know how to proceed.